{FOOD PROCESSING} My Favourite Asian Ingredients!

I thought it was time to do my Asian products post since I tend to lean towards Asian cooking often (gee, I wonder why?) 


I moved away from the heart of Asian markets, and while I love where I live for the most part, the lack of Asian products here puts a huge damper on my cooking. I simply cannot cook without some of my favourite sauces and seasonings. 



SOY SAUCE:


Topping off my list is the most popular sauce in all Chinese cuisine? Soy sauce! I'll truthfully admit, I've used VH soy sauce since I moved to my non-Asian neighborhood. It does the job, is of a medium quality, gives enough flavour and colour to your food. When in doubt, VH it! 


Do NOT use Walmart Great Value soy sauce. This is where no-name brand just plain sucks! It tastes weird... don't do it! 


Best one: Lee Kum Kee Light and Dark soy sauce. I really like this one. 



OYSTER SAUCE:


Lee Kum Kee hands down is THE best. 


Just look for the panda brand. 


Get the biggest bottle.


Period.


Non-Asian area? I have bought Golden Dragon brand from IGA, not bad at all! 




HOISIN SAUCE:


Lee Kum Kee again. 


Golden Dragon Hoisin sauce is also a great contender!  






MAGGI SEASONING:

Ahhh maggi! I LOVE this sauce! It's what makes your food THAT much better. It's like MSG in liquid form. Just a few dashes and that's it. Leave it out as well if you want! But it's just better with it!





GINGER PASTE:

I love fresh ginger, so when I have it, I definitely use it! However, I also forget I have it, and find a shrivelled up piece of ginger root!


I like having this in my fridge. Nice and fast for quick marinades! I don't have to peel and grate anything! Definite winner!





SESAME OIL:


By far the best on the market, and one I've used all my life! I currently do NOT have this in my pantry and was forced to buy Lee Kum Kee, and it seriously falls short. Find yourself a toasted sesame oil, as it makes a big difference in your Asian dishes!








One of the spices I mention a lot in my Chinese dishes is white pepper. It is a distinct pepper that we use instead of regular black pepper. You will notice the difference when you use it!


We also use cornstarch a lot as a thickener for our sauces and soups, as well as to give smooth coating to meats that would generally be dry to the palette. You will also see it often in our meat marinades!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{FOOD PROCESSING} LET'S TALK ABOUT BRINE!

{INSPIRATION} AMAZING General Tao Chicken